By Carlos Molina
What should you do in order to pass the API 653 exam? Well, you should read the standards well ahead, choose and write down the most questions and answers you can, and, if possible, take the course to reinforce knowledge. Regarding the Q&A´s, you should revisit them regularly using an spaced repetition software.
The following 50 questions were extracted from the standards by me, or remembered by me or other students that took the exam before.
The format is a Q&A one, different from the multiple choice question format from other courses I have seen online. I prefer this method because it takes away all the clutter that leads to confusion when treating these standards. I advise you to copy this info and paste it in a spaced repetition software like Anki or Supermemo, as the Q&A format allows, and start studying right away. You could choose to print flashcards too. When days pass by, you will see who you remember all of the information with no problem.
1. Q: What is the minimum thickness for a tank floor plate with no means for leak detection or secondary containment if an RBI program is not in place?
A: 0,1 inches Ref: Table 4.4 API 653
Don´t hesitate to keep reading if you are studying for the API 653 exam, as there is a downloadable for you.
2. Q: When a full hydrostatic test is required, it shall be held for ________
A: 24 hours. Ref: 12.3.1 API 653
3. Q: How many radiographs shall be taken in a square 12” x 24” butt welded insert plate in a 1″ thickness shell?
A: 100% Ref: 126.96.36.199 API 653
3a. Q: How many radiographs shall be taken in a square 12” x 24” butt welded replacement plate in a 1″ thickness shell?
A: 1 in every vertical, 1 in every horizontal, and 1 for every corner. Ref: 188.8.131.52.2 API 653
UPDATE 21/01/16: One reader pointed out to a mistake in this answer. The answer is: 1 in every vertical, 1 in every horizontal, and 1 for every corner.
UPDATE 4/03/2017: Other reader noted that radiography is 100% for an insert plate. Now I´ve posted 2 questions, one for insert plates and the other for replacement plates.
4. Q: Minimun number of radiographs that shall be taken to a circular butt welded insert plate in a shell 1/2″ thick?
A: 1 Ref: 184.108.40.206.1 API 653
5. Q: How much time do you need to keep the radiographs of a reconstructed tank?
A: 1 year Ref: 13.2.3 API 653
These were examples of questions that have appeared in the exam in the past, with information taken from the standards of the body of knowledge
Part of the API 653 questions series
You cand Download all the 50 questions from Path #1 here in pdf format.